- Cooking oil spray
- ½ cup plain oatmeal
- ½ cup unsweetened soymilk
- ¼ cup egg whites (2 whites)
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (1/3 cup)
- ½ cup Splenda granulated or sugar (or 12 packets Truvia)
- ¼ cup milled flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8″ pan with cooking oil spray.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine oats and milk; cook for 60 seconds. Stir and allow to cool; mix in egg whites and vanilla.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the whey protein, Splenda, flaxseed, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add oatmeal mixture to dry ingredients; mix just until everything is moist. Spread batter in pan.
4. Place peanut butter in microwave safe bowl and heat for 45 seconds or until melted. Spoon peanut butter over batter in pan and swirl with knife tip.
6. Bake for 10 minutes; allow to cool completely before cutting into 6 bars. Wrap each individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer or refrigerator. Unwrap and microwave 30 seconds to warm.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 195 calories, 11 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 14 g total carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 12 g protein, 218 mg sodium.
There are plenty of reasons to make your own protein bars. First, it’s economical! You’ll save a lot of money, particularly if you have a habit of buying single bars one a time. Even better, you can customize your bars to your taste preferences, avoid any allergens, and leave out ingredients you don’t want. You can make a bar with high quality protein, whole grains, real nuts or fruit, flaxseeds, whichever sweetener you prefer, and skip all the long-named chemical ingredients (preservatives and fortifications) that you may not need or want in your snack. Plus, they taste awesome if you have a good recipe! You can also cut the bars into different sizes, depending on how substantial a meal/snack you want the bar to be. These bars provide healthy fats from natural peanut butter and flaxseed. Plus, thanks to whole grain oats, they give you 4 grams of fiber.
Share It With Your Friends!